A Gentle, Compassionate Periodontist
Dr. Donna Massoth strives to form a partnership with each of her patients, to work toward the shared goal of optimal oral health and a wonderful smile for the patient. She spends time learning about each person’s needs and goals, then develops a unique treatment plan based on the person’s situation.
Passionate about dental health, Dr. Massoth focuses on patient education: She knows it’s essential for people to understand their specific oral health concerns. Along with her team, Dr. Massoth teaches patients to become proactive in caring for their mouth and teeth. When they become actively engaged in taking care of themselves, they have a healthier mouth, smile, and body. This is always Dr. Massoth’s goal.
Understanding that some patients have dental anxiety, Dr. Massoth listens to a person’s fears. Her background in clinical psychology, specifically behavioral medicine and mindfulness meditation, enables her to help each patient work through his or her worries. Dr. Massoth doesn’t judge: she listens, supports, reassures, and encourages.
Education and Continuing Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychobiology – University of California Los Angeles
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery – University of California Los Angeles
- Certificate in Periodontics – University of Washington School of Dentistry
- Master of Science in Dentistry – University of Washington School of Dentistry
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology – University of Washington Department of Psychology
Each year, Dr. Massoth completes many hours of continuing education. This ensures she is current on the latest developments in treatments and new technologies, and enables her to deliver the best care to her patients. Her continuing education focuses on:
- Periodontal diseases and treatment
- Oral mucosal diseases
- Dental implantology
- General and restorative dentistry
- Infection control and blood-borne pathogen control
- Mind-body interaction in health and wellness
- Behavioral medicine
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Academy of Osseointegration
- Washington State Society of Periodontists
- American Dental Association
- Washington State Dental Association
- Seattle-King County Dental Society
- Seattle Study Club
- Alpha Omega International Dental Fraternity
Dr. Massoth grew up in Sherman Oaks, CA, in the San Fernando Valley. She’s lived in North Seattle for more than 30 years and considers herself to be a true Northwester now. Her home is shared with her son Noah, who is on his way to join the Ohio Wesleyan University community, and her Golden Retriever Pete (Sampras).
When she’s not working, you’ll often find Dr. Massoth cycling around Puget Sound, playing tennis, walking or jogging with a friend, practicing yoga, and playing with Pete at the dog park. She also enjoys watching her son play tennis, working in her vegetable garden, and trying to figure out how to make tasty, fresh food with a minimal amount of preparation.